GENERAL SWIMMING POOL CARE
Your swimming pool will give years of trouble-free service, if the following points are remembered:
- Check and correct pH value and disinfectant levels before use, as per manufacturer’s or installers recommendations, even if the pool is being regularly serviced.
- Be careful when adding chemicals, especially large doses. It is preferable to dissolve chemicals one type at a time in warm water taken from the pool, in a dedicated and clearly labelled plastic bucket, as this allows for quicker dissolving of chemicals. Stir with a wooden or plastic handle to dissolve. Always slowly add as a solution near to an inlet within the pool to aid rapid dispersal and without splashing since un-dissolved chemicals can damage the pool finish.
- Backwash regularly, when using a sand filter. Backwashing is the process of cleaning a filter by reversing the flow of water through the medium in the filter tank.
- Check the pump coarse strainer basket is clean.
- The surface skimmer removes all floating debris, the larger debris being retained in the skimmer basket with finer particles being trapped in the filter. The skimmer basket will require emptying at intervals, and if there are trees close to the pool, frequent checking and emptying will have to be done when leaves or blossom falls.
- Vacuum the pool as required or consider buying an automated cleaner from a trusted dealer.
- The pool should be kept full of water at all times (except where winterising has been undertaken where the level may be lowered).
- Leaves must not be allowed to lie on the pool floor for prolonged periods as these can cause staining.
- Have the pool equipment services regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
For Liner pools:
- On a liner, hopper pool with steep sides, do not encourage standing on the slopes, especially in very warm water, as a pol liner is pliable and feet can cause wrinkles.
- Any dirt accumulation around the water line can be removed with a specially formulated tile and liner cleaner. Results use of the tile and liner and cleaner will give the best results. (do not use household cleaners, strong acid, wire wool or a wire brush, as these will damage the finish).
- Do not exceed your liner manufacturer’s recommended pool water temperature.
The water level must be at least halfway up the skimmer weir aperture, otherwise there is a danger that the filter pump will suck in air and lose the ability to pump water (this can damage the pump). When the weather is hot and the pool well used, a lot of water can be splashed out, and there will be additional losses from evaporation and from backwashing the filter. Consequently, keep a check on the water level and top-up as necessary, especially during the peak times in the summer when the pool may lose 50-80mm (2-3 inches) of water per week.
See our range of swimming pool maintenance products here
Maintenauilding type maintenance, depending upon the construction.